Established in 1999, the goal of The University of Memphis‘ School of Urban Affairs & Public Policy (SUAPP) is to link engaged scholarship, teaching, professional training, and outreach (including technical assistance) that makes a difference in the quality of life in Memphis and the Mid-South.
To this end, the school is expanding community engagement activities online, such as this blog. We hope to better promote SUAPP‘s academic programs and research centers which prepare individuals to assume community leadership roles; provide assistance with issues confronting communities; and emphasize community oriented, multidisciplinary research within a global perspective.
Interdisciplinary focus is integral to SUAPP’s goals.
We achieve this by staying focused on the following objectives:
- Forging strong linkages with the community
- Encouraging collaboration among the units represented in the school
- Developing alliances with other units within the College of Arts and Sciences
- Pursuing grant opportunities and other funding resources
- Developing new opportunities in faculty, staff, and student scholarship and outreach
- Division of City & Regional Planning
- Department of Criminology & Criminal Justice
- Division of Public & Nonprofit Administration
- Division of Social Work
Blog posts will be made by SUAPP faculty, staff, graduate assistants, partners and our cadre of Housing and Community Development fellows.
We hope you will join us as we strive to create a current, easily accessible, and interconnected resource to benefit the community and our students.